Crown Accelerates Sustainability Commitments With Launch Of Twentyby30 Program
Robust, global initiative establishes twenty ambitious environmental, social and governance goals to be achieved by or before 2030
"Our spirit of innovation and commitment to operating efficiently and responsibly have guided our business since we were founded, and we are proud of the sustainability progress we have made to date," stated
Under the program, Crown aims to accomplish the following by or before 2030 (using a 2019 baseline):
1. Reduce Scope 1 GHG emissions, targeting a 50% combined reduction in absolute Scope 1 (fuel) and Scope 2 (electricity) emissions.
2. Reduce Scope 2 GHG emissions, targeting a 50% combined reduction in absolute Scope 1 (fuel) and Scope 2 (electricity) emissions.
3. Reduce absolute greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from our supply chain (Scope 3) by 16%.
4. Source 60% renewable electricity by 2030, 90% by 2040 and 100% by 2050.
5. Reduce Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) emissions by 10% per unit of product.
6. Reduce water usage in our operations by 20% by 2025.
7. Maintain a 100% track record of meeting local wastewater standards.
8. Ensure all employees have continued access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene.
9. Replenish 100% of the water consumed in our operations back to high scarcity risk watersheds.
10. Send zero waste from our operations to landfill.
11. Reduce packaging material use by making our aluminum and steel cans 10% lighter in weight.
12. Support increased metal packaging recycling rates in our major markets in collaboration with industry associations and other partners.
13. Maintain or improve the industry-wide average of recycled content in metal cans and transit packaging products in collaboration with suppliers, industry associations and other partners.
14. Increase the recycled content of the plastic strapping we make by 10% globally.
15. Reduce our Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) by 20% by 2025.
16. Continuously encourage, inform and empower every employee to be an active participant in Crown's Sustainability Program, creating meaningful connections between their daily tasks, their personal lives and the impact they can make in the environment and in society.
17. Evolve toward a more employee-centric organization where Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) awareness is embedded in the organizational culture, allowing our people to be authentic at work. Encourage our top management to be D&I role models as a source of inspiration for all.
18. Decrease the lifecycle footprint of our products and processes through eco-design and manufacturing innovation. Crown commits to devoting at least 50% of its Research & Development technology developments toward minimizing the footprint of its products and manufacturing processes.
19. By 2022, all operations meet a new consolidated "One Crown Standard." This new standard will unify existing standards of migration, toxicology and safety utilized in our various geographical locations. By 2025, Crown will have screened all food contact materials for the presence of Chemicals of Concern (COC) and will take action to eliminate them where necessary.
20. By 2025, all suppliers determined as high risk are assessed by third-party verification assessments. By 2030, 100% of Crown's core raw materials and service suppliers, by spend, are assessed and comply with Crown Responsible and Ethical Sourcing policies and requirements, with an interim target of achieving 75% by 2025.
"In designing the Twentyby30 program, we are redefining our approach to sustainability and the role the packaging sector plays in bettering our environment," said
To make progress toward each Twentyby30 program goal, Crown will take steps to improve operational efficiencies and establish new processes and procedures as needed. The Company will report its progress against the Twentyby30 program goals annually through global reporting standards including CDP and its sustainability reports. Its performance is also scored by various ESG ratings providers such as Sustainalytics and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Crown Holdings, Inc.
For more information, contact:
For editorial inquiries: